This is a question that many dog owners wonder about.
Do I need to feed my pup wet dog food as well as dry food?
All pup owners will have a bag of dog biscuits ready and waiting to feed their furry friend. But aren’t sure whether or not to add meat or other wet food varieties into the diet as well.
So, let’s answer the question once and for all, then you’ll know exactly what your pup needs.
Does My Dog Need To Eat Both Wet Dog Food And Dry Food?
What Should Be In My Dog’s Diet?
Your pup requires a balanced diet so that they get all the necessary nutrients to support its health and well-being. A healthy diet for a dog should include:
- High-quality protein: Dogs are omnivores, but they require a diet that is high in protein. And because they absorb animal-based proteins better, choose foods that contain protein sources like chicken, beef, fish, and lamb.
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates provide energy and are an important part of a dog's diet. Good sources of carbohydrates include brown rice, sweet potatoes, and oats.
- Fats: Fats are important for energy and the absorption of certain vitamins. Good sources of fat include fish oil, flaxseed oil, and chicken fat.
- Vitamins and minerals: A balanced diet should include vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E, and calcium.
It's important to note that dogs all have different nutritional needs, based on their breed, size and activity levels. Choosing a premium food that suits their needs is the best way to go. Additionally, it's crucial to avoid feeding dogs human food, especially as foods like chocolate, onions, and grapes are poisonous for them.
Does My Dog Need To Have Wet Dog Food?
Just like humans, dogs need to consume a healthy amount of fluids in their diet to keep them hydrated. That fact might have led to the misconception that dogs need to be fed a mixture of dry and wet dog food. That’s not the case.
Whether your dog needs to eat both wet and dry food depends on their individual needs and preferences, as well as any health concerns they may have.
Dry food is a convenient and affordable option that is easy to store and can help maintain your dog's dental health by promoting chewing and reducing plaque buildup. It's also a good choice for dogs who tend to overeat, as it can help them feel fuller for longer periods of time.
So, do they need wet dog food as well?
As long as your pup is drinking plenty of water and has a dry food that meets all of its nutritional needs, then they don’t need wet food on top of that. Of course, if you choose to give them some wet food if you want to.
Good Wet Dog Food Options
Just like dry food, many of the commercial brands of wet foods for dogs are full of preservatives, additives and chemicals. So, it is best to choose natural options like lean fish and beef.
Like we mentioned before, steer away from feeding your dog human food and food off your own plate at dinner time. All meat or wet food options should contain plain ingredients - never give your dog food that is seasoned.
Some pups also love to munch on a bone. This can be good for their teeth too. Just make sure you choose an appropriate bone for your dog’s breed. Never give them cooked bones as they can splinter and cause blockages or tears in the digestive system.
Making Sure Your Pup Gets Enough Fluid
It is essential that your dog consumes enough fluid to stay hydrated each day. This is especially important after physical activity and if it’s a hot day.
Try these ideas for keeping their fluids up:
- Make sure they have access to plenty of fresh, clean water. Change the water frequently and ensure you wash the bowl regularly to prevent bacteria from building up.
- You could incorporate some wet dog food into their diet if you choose to
- Give them ice cubes to play with, some dogs will love to lick them. Even freeze something inside a block of ice so that they have to lick it out.
- Giving them bone broth from time to time can be a great source of hydration and nutrients. Just make sure you choose a high-quality broth or make your own.
Choosing The Right Dog Food
Selecting the right food for your pup is an important job. After all, you want to ensure they are getting all the right nutrients to keep them happy and healthy.
Wet dog food is not an essential component of a healthy diet, but you can supplement kibble or biscuits with wet food if you choose to. As long as you select a premium food that contains everything your dog needs, they will be perfectly healthy on biscuits alone.
Our all-natural premium Real Dog Food Balanced is lovingly blended and enriched as a healthy complete diet for our doggy friends of all shapes and sizes. Packed with the correct balance of probiotics, vitamins, minerals, proteins and goodness, it is hard to imagine a more healthy, full and balanced diet than this nutritious dog food for your furry best friend.